Simply another opinion of the state of Scituate, focusing on the Scituate Public School System.

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Spend Happy Citizens - Town Meeting Results

Check out the official results from town meeting here.

Seems we have quite a spend-happy town. The 3A fire station was rejected, and a vote was postponed in regards to rewording marina bylaws. But thats it. Everything else was voted for and approved. I strongly hope that those present at the meeting were there to fight for the overrides. I agree that they should be on the ballot, as those at town meeting voted to do. It is my hope that not all of the overrides pass. I am against the building of an additional fire station. I am against giving the school department more money. I am against the senior center. I am for funding the fire department for additional staff. We can't afford a new fire station right now, and we also can't afford to have one of our existing stations unmanned. The selectman's budget meeting including a quick note from Agnew about the fire departments overtime ($100,000 I believe) and how one of the stations might end up unmanned this year due to staffing issues.

Did anyone notice the $1.6 million appropriated to the improvement of the Scituate Marine Park, forever known as Young's, on First Cliff? The purchase and development of that lot by the town of Scituate is a disaster, and will continue to be. Nothing has really been done since the town took over, other than the re-arranging of the docks. There's a Scituate citizen running the boat yard, and doing a great job. However, the town is looking for someone to take up a ten year lease to run the boat yard aspect of Young's, but I imagine the current operator may not be able to afford the the $1,000,000+ investment required by the town for improvements to the yard.

Couldn't the money spent on the initial purchase and future development of this landfill on the harbor (interesting that much of the land used by the yard is landfill, cement poured onto marsh) be better spent? Couldn't the schools use that $1,600,000!!!??? I'm not against the school budget, I'm against tax increases to increase the school budget.

I'm curious about the $125,000 computer system for the police department. Hopefully they can afford to train officers to use it, they seem to have failed to train Felix the drug dog so far. What a poor excuse to bring your puppy to work.

That's all I have.

No comments: