Simply another opinion of the state of Scituate, focusing on the Scituate Public School System.

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Where's Jamie?



Is it just me, or does it seem like Mr. Jamie Strobino, the newest member of the School Committee, has been absent from more than a few meetings recently? Strobino was elected last year, and attended his first meeting on April 10, 2006.

When has Mr. Strobino been noted as "Absent", according to School Committee Minutes?
  1. June 7, 2006
  2. August 28, 2006
  3. October 30, 2006
  4. January 8, 2007 - Strobino arrived 15 minutes late.
  5. January 22, 2007
  6. February 12, 2007
Between April 10, 2006 and February 12, 2007, there were 17 school committee meetings. Strobino was there, on time, for 11 of those meetings. He's there 65% of the time. If I came to school 65% of the time, I would miss 63 days of school over the course of the year. I would lose credit. Colleges wouldn't want me. I'd be flipping burgers at one of Mr. Strobino's restaurants in no time flat. Is this the man you voted for? The rest of the school committee and the administrators seem to be at every meeting. They might miss one or two over the course of the year, but not 5 in less than a year. That's unacceptable. I understand that Strobino has a demanding job in the business world (a quick Google search gives you plenty of information) I also understand that he has an interest in the Scituate Schools. But a seat on the school committee isn't the best job to have when you appear to be stretched a bit too thin.

Mr. Strobino, I ask you to make an effort to attend every meeting, to uphold yourself to the standards that the students of the school system you preside over are held to each and every day. No unexcused absence, no unexcused tardies. Because just like at Scituate High, you too can lose credit. But your situation is a bit harder to fix - class credit can come back with a doctors note, but your reputation can stay tarnished forever.

Make the right choice, or give your seat to Maura Curran. She deserves to sit a bit closer to the action.

No comments: